Serves 2 —
- 4 roasted poblano chiles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red potatoes
- 1/2 can coconut milk (or evaporated milk)
- 1 cup Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup slice ham or crumbled sausage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Using olive oil grease a 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Slice potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Transfer to pot and parboil in salted water.
- Cool potatoes in cold water, drain, then use 1/3 of them for the first layer in the baking dish.
- Add some of the cheese (and, maybe, ham, etc.) and add a first layer of poblanos on top.
- Add part of the coconut milk, then another layer of potatoes.
- Add more cheese (ham, etc.), another layer of poblanos, more coconut milk, then a final layer of potatoes.
- Push the top layer of potatoes down into the coconut milk
- Bake 40 minutes and then add the last cheese to the top
- Raise temperature to 450 °F and cook another 15 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.